Sunday, February 27, 2011

Welcome to Texas Scuba Diving

Meet the Author
Hello everyone! My name is Amanda J., and I am a freshman college student at the University of Texas in Dallas. I have lived in Texas my entire life, and I love to scuba dive, play with my two cats, and write poetry. I’m excited to share with you my scuba experiences, and provide a great scuba blog that you can enjoy.
       
Texas Scuba Diving Blog
In this blog, I will provide you with diving locations in Texas to help you discover Texas diving all in one place. I will share my firsthand experiences about Texas diving locations, scuba gear, and other diving hints.
     
Scuba facts and specific dive site information will also be provided, so you can get the current and correct information you need.
   
My Scuba Qualifications
I received my Open Water scuba certification from PADI in early 2006, and since then have been diving every year. I have dived at five freshwater dive sites in Texas:
  • Athens Scuba Park
  • Aquarena Springs
  • Clear Springs Scuba Park
  • Comal River 
  • Possum Kingdom 
I also went diving in the Florida Keys, which was a great saltwater diving experience.
 
In Future Posts
You can look forward to seeing information about these diving locations, and more:
  • Balmorhea State Park
  • Flower Gardens
  • Lake Sam Rayburn
  • South Padre Island
  • Windy Point Park

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda,
    I haven't been scuba diving, but have always wanted to learn. How long does it take to learn how to scuba and do you have to be a really good swimmer?
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. I look forward to reading about your underwater adventures!
    -Eddie Ortega

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eddie,
    It takes about a month to learn all about diving, and then once you get in the water it takes a about 5 dives (20-40 minutes each) to get your first certification.
    You have to be able to swim, yes, and float by yourself too - because in emergencies, you may lose your scuba gear and then you need to be able to swim!
    Overall though, you don't have to be a speed swimmer, or be able to run a marathon. :)
    Diving is really fun once you're in the water, and you get to feel "lighter than air" as you swim along, with fins helping you propel through the water!
    Also, if you want to try diving, you can do a trial without getting certified! It's called Discover Scuba, and I found a link for you:
    http://www.thedivecrew.com/discover-scuba-diving
    Or, if you want to go to a nearby dive shop, just mention "Discover Scuba" and how you want to try it out. :)
    Thanks for the great comment, and I hope to hear from you again!
    -Amanda

    ReplyDelete